What is a current bill or law that relates in some way to your proposal? Use the legislative database found here: HB 4143
How would this bill make a difference in the lives of students across Michigan? If a student under 18 is in jail they will not be put with adults.
How and where did you learn about the issues underlying your proposal? By reading the bill.
Link to your media artifact(s) giving background on the issue: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1GTWk9oK5iw9EZIcGLKqjNFlpp-AzblnzJh7DD-0T6x4/edit#slide=id.p
To whom did you talk about this issue to learn more? I haven’t talked to any experts on gun control, but I have talked to my teachers a bit. I have gotten most of my sources from articles on gun violence.
What did you initially think about your topic and how did your thinking change over time? Initially, I thought gun violence, of course, is bad and it kills people. I didn’t have a lot of facts at first. Some things I learned were 100 people in the U.S die every day to guns, and only 1.4 of gun deaths are law enforcement and such.
What was the most significant article/video/report/website that you used and how did it impact your research? Mlive. Period. Most of the artifact that I created was centered around the website’s sources.
These set up the PROBLEM, but not the solution.
WHEREAS… In the U.S., 100 people die from guns every day. And 8 of those 100 people are children.
WHEREAS… Guns are way too easy to obtain in the U.S.
WHEREAS… If someone bought a gun and has never committed a crime in their lifetime, there is still no guarantee that they won’t commit a crime.
(Add more "Whereas" clauses if necessary.)Operative clauses
These describe in detail, the solution you are proposing (not the problem itself; those should go in the "Whereas" clauses above).
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED...
1. Have more thorough background checks and have higher restrictions on felons, terrorists, domestic abusers, and those with mental health issues.
2. Banning military-style weapons, as they are usually more dangerous than non-military-style weapons.
3. Gun licenses should be harder to obtain given how many homicides are committed with them.
4. Limiting access to those on the federal no-fly or watchlist.
5. Have security for more places where mass shootings could occur. (Like the movie theater shooting in Aurora, Colorado.)
(Add more "Resolved" clauses if necessary.)Counter-arguments:
What are the three reasonable arguments against this proposal?
1. Background checks are arguably already very thorough and don’t need to get much better at all.
2. Guns should be more pricey given how dangerous and how many homicides are committed compared to any other use.
3. There are reasons why gun licenses are as easy as they are to obtain.Costs and funding:
What are some costs associated with your proposal? Background checks will be longer and would require more money. If guns become overpriced, gun dealers will lose money until they go bankrupt or something like that. For the people who don’t commit a crime with their licenses will be inconvenienced.
How will you pay for your proposed bill? From what sources could the funding come? Michigan & insurance companies.
Who (people or groups) might object to funding your proposal? Michigan.
List all websites, articles, reports, videos, or other resources you used to research for this project. You do not have to include formal citations. **Eighth graders only: After each source, write 1-2 sentences about why you chose this source and why you trusted it.